01 Jun FAO chief says South Sudan conflict is fueling famine
The head of the UN’s food and agriculture agency warned Tuesday that the ongoing civil war in South Sudan could undermine hopes of averting a new famine next year.
Nearly 5.5 million people facing severe hunger in South Sudan. In February, famine was declared in Leer and Mayendit counties, affecting about 100,000 people.
Food and Agriculture Organization boss Jose Graziano da Silva told The Associated Press that the ethnic violence in the world’s youngest nation is threatening their work.
“We cannot continue that way. We are wasting money and time if we don’t stop the war,” he said.
Da Silva further said FAO was trying to provide food, seeds and livestock to farmers to take advantage of the rainy season.
“This is the time for farmers to plant. They don’t have seeds. They have eaten the seeds. Even the seeds that the FAO provided last month, they have eaten them,” he said, during a visit to Brussels to drum up support at EU headquarters.